Resolution Re: Creation of The Endowment Fund For Theological Education In The Central Conferences
April 13 2016 -
WHEREAS, the growing worldwide movement of United Methodism requires strong theological education in the Wesleyan Tradition in the central conferences of The United Methodist Church, one that prepares principled Christian leaders rooted in a Wesleyan mindset that joins together knowledge and vital piety; and
WHEREAS, the 2012 General Conference established the Central Conference Theological Education Fund and the Commission for Central Conference Theological Education to provide grants to support theological education in the central conferences as outlined in ¶817 of the 2012 Book of Discipline; and
WHEREAS, the Central Conference Theological Education Fund will provide $5 million this quadrennium in support for theological education in the central conferences of the United Methodist Church through donations to the World Service Fund; and
WHEREAS, the sustainable growth of central conference theological education can be greatly enhanced through the building up of a permanent endowment fund that is based upon building up a sustainable source of funding for theological education in the central conferences of The United Methodist Church; and
WHEREAS, the unique nature of this effort requires the collaboration of bishops, general agencies, and other leaders in the Church in a structure not easily accommodated by any single general agency; and
WHEREAS, the Constitution of The United Methodist Church (¶47) gives the Council of Bishops the mandate, “...to plan for the general oversight and promotion of the temporal and spiritual interests of the entire Church…”
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED: that the Council of Bishops hereby authorizes and endorses the establishment of an Endowment Fund for Theological Education in the Central Conferences, which may incorporate itself as an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation affiliated with The United Methodist Church through the Council of Bishops, for the purposes of endowing permanent financial support for theological education in the central conferences of The United Methodist Church in accordance with the following:
(1) All funds raised for the endowment, or the income generated from those funds, shall be released at least annually to the Commission for Central Conference Theological Education to provide grants to the support for theological education in the central conferences as outlined in ¶817 of the 2012 Book of Discipline;
(2) The Endowment Fund shall be governed by a Board of Directors (the Board), which shall have no less than ten and no more than twelve voting members;
(3) Eight members of the Board, at least one of which shall be a member of the Council of Bishops, shall be elected by the Council of Bishops as nominated by the Board.
(4) One member of the Board shall be a senior staff member of the General Board of Global Ministries as selected by its Board of Directors;
(5) One member of the Board shall be a senior staff member of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry as selected by its Board of Directors;
(6) Up to two members of the Board may be nominated and elected by the Board for the purposes of adding special expertise.
(7) The Board shall have the authority to incorporate itself, engage in contracts, and conduct such other business as may be necessary for the accomplishment of its mission, so long as said activity is in accordance with the Book of Discipline and its Social Principles, and the directives of the General Conference and the Council of Bishops;
(8) The Board shall be accountable and report annually to the Council of Bishops and the Commission for Central Conference Theological Education regarding its activities and its performance in accomplishing its mission and it shall be amenable to the General Council on Finance and Administration in the conduct of the financial and administrative responsibilities.
Adopted by the Council of Bishops, November 7, 2014